Publication Date: 1/21/2008 6:00:00 PM
Some companies have never worked with a freelance software developer before. Here are the top five reasons for working with a freelancer instead of a firm:
1) Direct communication. When you work with a freelancer, you get to talk to the actual person doing the work, not some sales drone or project manager. This means it is more likely your needs will get heard.
2) Lower overhead. An organization has to pay for office space, sales people, human resources, and a host of other costs that don't apply to a freelance consultant. This usually means that an independent consultant is more affordable.
3) Understands what they are selling. Sometimes in a larger firm the sales person will focus getting you to say "yes" instead of really understanding your needs.
4) More <> Better. Just because a large firm can throw lots of people at your project does not mean it will get done any faster or better. More people increases the required lines of communication exponentially. This can quickly lead to overcommunication for everyone, or miscommunication for some. Sometimes it results in more time spent in communication than in getting things done! In the meantime, you will be paying for all those extra people.
5) Accountability. With a freelancer, you know where the buck stops. And a freelancer generally cares more about your work than individuals working in a large firm, because it affects their bottom line.
In the end, a freelancer can give you the personal attention that a company cannot.
Photo from BigFoto.com
Your URL (optional):
Type the code shown
Top 5 Programmers to Avoid
What everyone should know about bugs
How to tell if an estimate sucks
The Secret to Building a Crappy User Interface
The Problem with Selecting the Lowest Bidder
5 Ways to Control Software Development Costs
Avonelle is an incredibly talented software developer. She works fast, is economical, and offers great insights into the project at hand. She is also not afraid to speak up when she has concerns about a decision or approach. We’ve utilized her talents on many of our software development projects over the years.
Carrie Rocha, Chief Operating Officer @ HousingLink
Copyright © 2013 Avonelle Lovhaug. All Rights Reserved.
Sitefinity ASP.NET CMS