Publication Date: 1/21/2008 4:00:00 PM
Some companies have never worked with a freelance software developer before. Here are the top five reasons for working with a freelancer instead of a firm:
1) Direct communication. When you work with a freelancer, you get to talk to the actual person doing the work, not some sales drone or project manager. This means it is more likely your needs will get heard.
2) Lower overhead. An organization has to pay for office space, sales people, human resources, and a host of other costs that don't apply to a freelance consultant. This usually means that an independent consultant is more affordable.
3) Understands what they are selling. Sometimes in a larger firm the sales person will focus getting you to say "yes" instead of really understanding your needs.
4) More <> Better. Just because a large firm can throw lots of people at your project does not mean it will get done any faster or better. More people increases the required lines of communication exponentially. This can quickly lead to overcommunication for everyone, or miscommunication for some. Sometimes it results in more time spent in communication than in getting things done! In the meantime, you will be paying for all those extra people.
5) Accountability. With a freelancer, you know where the buck stops. And a freelancer generally cares more about your work than individuals working in a large firm, because it affects their bottom line.
In the end, a freelancer can give you the personal attention that a company cannot.
Photo from BigFoto.com
Your URL (optional):
Type the code shown
Top 5 Programmers to Avoid
What everyone should know about bugs
How to tell if an estimate sucks
The Secret to Building a Crappy User Interface
The Problem with Selecting the Lowest Bidder
5 Ways to Control Software Development Costs
As someone with over 20 years of software development experience
and currently a small business owner, it has been a pleasure working
with Avonelle. In addition to being a talented developer, Avonelle also
has database expertise and system design skills. Avonelle is open
minded and willing to discuss various methodologies for achieving a
project goal. She is also not afraid to ask questions which is vital in
a software development project. Her up-front project cost (not
estimate) is very helpful in budgeting for a project.
--Dwayne Wolterstorff, Owner @ Fair
Copyright © 2013 Avonelle Lovhaug. All Rights Reserved.
Sitefinity ASP.NET CMS